Construction defects can be divided into four categories: improper design, defective materials, poor workmanship, and operation / maintenance deficiencies. Though some construction defects may arise immediately, it may be years before some construction defects become known. Cosmetic blemishes are not construction defects.
Building codes are minimum requirements for construction. Facilities are to be designed and constructed to at least satisfy such building codes. Improper design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the facility can lead to serious injury or harm to persons or property.
VMAR engineers analyze an existing structure and determine whether the structure complies with the requirements of applicable building codes. We also determine if the construction defect was inherent in the design, was the result of defective materials, or if the defect occurred as a result of improper construction or later modifications by the property owner.
When You Need to Know . . .
- Was the construction defect part of the scope of work?
- What is the extent of the defect?
- What are the before and after conditions?
- Does the existing condition satisfy applicable building codes?
- Was the defect inherent in the design?
- Was the defect caused by the construction?
- Was the defect caused by the property owner?
Detail of Construction Defect Investigation and Analysis Service
- Review and evaluate case file
- Review approved construction plans, construction inspection reports, O&M reports, and scope of work for available architect, engineer, and contractor contracts
- Determine "as designed", "as-built", and "existing" conditions
- Research and analyze applicable building codes
- Measure degree and extent of defect
- Analyze whether the existing condition is truly "defective"
- Estimate severity of defect
- Determine the level of serviceability of the current condition
- Determine effects of overuse or improper use, along with effects of age, weathering, and environmental conditions
- Preparation of a fully detailed written report
Our 21 Day
In the world of claims adjusting we know that you usually have only a 30-day window in which to determine the merits of a claim. That's why we promise to handle your assignment and get the completed report into your hands within 21 calendar days.
And we back our promise with this guarantee:
If we do not get your assignment completed within 21 calendar days, then we cut your cost in half.